The goal of the Regional Working Group on Mariculture (RWG-M) is to improve the ecosystem carrying capacity (ECC) of the Yellow Sea with respect to provisioning services by enhancing mariculture production and quality and by reducing and controlling pollutant discharge resulting from mariculture.
- To establish and optimize the integrated aquaculture of bivalve, fish, seaweed, sea cucumber, seagrass, abalone-seaweed and bioremediation technology for increased productivity and reduced marine environmental pollution per unit area
- To prepare training module and disseminate IMTA experience and knowledge YSLME-wide and to other LMEs
- To standardize IMTA for commercialization at industrial scale
- High proficiency IMTA successfully demonstrated in three sites in Shandong and Liaoning, PR China;
- GAP of IMTA;
- Training module of IMTA published;
- Conduct of three international conferences and training programs on sustainable mariculture
- Coordinate the development of GAP of IMTA.
- Prepare training module for IMTA.
- Conduct regional and international training workshops on IMTA and other sustainable mariculturetechniques in collaboration with other partners including IW:LEARN, NACA, SEAFDEC, etc.
- Conduct field visit to identify demonstration sites, assess the replication potential across YSLME, find out technical constraints, opportunities and enabling conditions to ensure the development of the mariculture sector in the Yellow Sea (YS).
- Disseminate current knowledge on the environmental effects of mariculture and opportunities of environmentally friendly technologies including IMTA to aquaculture association, local government officials, and international organizations.
- Identify avenues and ways to replicate the sustainable mariculture technologies for blue economy development in other regions for support by development assistance programs.